10.10.2012

Greely Myatt


I love wood. I love dessert. Put the two together and, wowzers, I’m in design heaven! That said, it should come as no surprise that I’m a big fan of these whimsical wooden desserts by artist Greely Myatt.  A faculty member at the University of Memphis, Myatt’s work is at once playful and realistic, rustic yet campy. My favorite pieces are definitely the cake sculptures. The craftsmanship, with these pieces in particular, is amazing and I’m seriously in awe of how lifelike they look, considering that they’re made almost entirely out of wood (with a little acrylic frosting). In addition, the environmentally concerned part of me is happy to report that Greely often works with reclaimed materials (wood, metal, etc) when creating his art, which is always a good thing. If you like what you see here, be sure to check out more of his pieces. Dessert art is only a small part of his work. ~Erin








Photos courtesy of PDXThe Running Horse, and Koelsch Gallery

Oh, and for anyone who is interested, I just started a Dessert Girl Pinterest page. I've been on Pinterest for a while now, but decided to start a page for DG as well. I hope to see you there! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the frosting made from?

dessert girl said...

The frosting is acrylic.

Carolyn Jung said...

Cake -- without the calories! Love it. I am drooling over that skyscraper slice, too. Would be adorable to put on a coffee table as permanent art. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...